This recipe is very dear to me. I used to make this into an atole for my mother by blending it and adding more water or milk – it’s the perfect warm meal and excellent for the elderly. My mother loved it and drank it every day. ~ Vangie
Avena (Old Fashioned Mexican Oatmeal)
- 4 cups water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- Condensed milk, optional
- Sugar, optional
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Blueberries, optional
- Walnuts, optional
- Honey, optional
- Boil water and cinnamon sticks. Remove from heat and let stand for about 1 hour (covered). Discard the cinnamon sticks, add a pinch of salt, and oats, let simmer for 45 minutes add more water to desired consistency. Add milk (optional) and sugar (optional) and let simmer for an additional 20 minutes until creamy.
- Serve in a bowl and add more milk or water if you want it thinner. Add honey to sweeten. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with blueberries or walnuts.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 week.
Photography by Jeanine Thurston