Sweet and simple, this creamy Arroz con Leche (rice pudding) is real comfort food. You’ll love the warm flavors of cinnamon and addition of plump raisins. One of the easiest and most delicious Mexican dishes that can be served for breakfast or as a dessert.
My mom is in town and let me just say how much I love having her here. As always the time flies by when she visits and every time she leaves I regret not filming a cooking video of her.
Well this visit I planned ahead and we filmed two great videos! This arroz con leche video and another one where she makes a cameo appearance (coming soon).
My mom is a little shy when it comes to video making, but I’m so proud of her – I think she is really getting the hang of it.
In the video below she teaches us how to make arroz con leche. This recipe is in our published cookbook. It is the perfect time of year to make this comforting dish. It can be served for breakfast or dessert and tastes great hot or cold.
I have so many fond memories about this dish – It is so economical to make and can feed a crowd. I can close my eyes and it smells like my grandma’s house. I wish you could scratch and sniff this video.
INGREDIENTS IN ARROZ CON LECHE
Every country has its own version, and every family has their own special recipe. These are the main ingredients my mom uses to make arroz con leche.
(scroll down for detailed recipe)
- cinnamon sticks
- whole cloves
- long-grain rice
- evaporated milk
- sweetened condensed milk
More sweet and classic breakfast recipes you’ll love
- Cinnamon Horchata Rice Pudding
- Mexican Pumpkin Rice Pudding
- Mexican Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Atole de Vainilla
- Old-Fashioned Mexican Oatmeal (Avena)
Arroz con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding)
- Over high heat, bring the water to a boil with the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and salt.
- Remove from the heat and cover. Steep for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves and discard. Add rice and over medium heat boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, and raisins and continue to cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir gently but be careful not to stir too much so rice doesn’t get mushy.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon.