Sopa de Fideo
Our abuelitas were so smart – they naturally made dinnertime as painless as possible. For example, this sopa de fideo is the ultimate one-pot pasta dish.
This one-pot pasta dish is the classic Mexican spaghetti you probably grew up eating.
When my kids have friends over I usually whip up a pot of sopa de fideo. It’s ready in less than 20 minutes and every kid loves it.
Unlike fideo seco where the puree mixture fully evaporates, this fideo has extra liquid to serve as a soup.
Sopa de fideo is an incredibly simple yet flavorful soup made with a tomato-based broth and toasted vermicelli noodles. Its simple and comforting but also because of the warm, fuzzy nostalgic feelings it brings!
Sopa de Fideo
- In a blender place onion, tomatoes, garlic, bouillon, pepper, cumin seeds, and 1 cup of water; and puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and add fideo. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fideo is slightly toasted, but not burned.
- Stir in the pureed mixture to the fideo until the puree thickens and darkens, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 3 cups of water and bring soup to a boil and continue to stir occasionally.
- Add in cilantro, cover and reduce to low heat. Cook for 10 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Check the salt and adjust to taste before serving.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Photography: Jenna Sparks