Steak and Bacon Shish Kebabs
I recently returned from visiting my hometown of El Paso. My recent trips have been work related with book signings, TV segments, or hosting an event, so it was nice to go this time and just enjoy it. I visited lots of family, which warmed my heart. As you can imagine I also ate quite a bit, and shopped my little heart out.
I bought Mexican dishes, cocktail glasses, and serapes. The serape in this photo is an oldie but goodie. I use it as a tablecloth and ground cover. You can see how I use it in this picnic video. I still have yet to unpack all my El Paso treasures, but excited to use them and photograph them for upcoming blog posts. Also stay tuned for a recap of my El Paso trip. I plan to share some of my favorite El Paso foods and finds.
Now that I’m back home, its time to cook again, but only for a few days, because I’m heading to Oaxaca…Ajua! I have wanted to visit Oaxaca for so long and look forward to going with my mom and a few friends. As you can guess I’ll be sharing my adventures via Instagram and Facebook.
I wanted to take advantage of warm weather in the days before we head out and give you an easy grilling recipe in time for the Fourth of July. I used to leave the grilling to my hubby, but now my children call me the grill master. It doesn’t get any easier than grilling food on a stick. We usually have bell peppers in the fridge and beef in the freezer, so this is an easy meal to whip up when I’ve run out of ideas. My kids love food on a stick and my hubby loves bacon, so everyone is happy.
Set out a serape and enjoy marinated steak, roasted veggies and slices of grilled bacon on a stick. These shish kebabs scream summer.
Steak and Bacon Shish Kebabs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce (recommend Tabasco Steak Sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 yellow squash, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- Combine the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add the steak. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably several hours or even overnight.
- Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. This will help prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Thread the steak, bacon, and vegetables onto bamboo skewers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the skewers on the grill and cook, with lid lowered, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Remove from the heat to aluminum foil, wrap and allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes prior to serving.