Easy Shrimp and Spanish Chorizo Paella + Paella Kit Giveaway
The first time I ever tasted paella was at a Spanish restaurant in Denver. I was so intrigued by the large paella pans and variety of ingredients. There were huge paella pans in the middle of the restaurant and everyone would just serve themselves buffet style.
The next time I had paella was at El Mesón in Santa Fe and although I loved my original experience this dish was tastier than the first. The chef brought out a paella pan to our table and the presentation was beautiful. The dish was steaming and smelled delicious overflowing with plump shrimp and spicy Spanish chorizo.
I have always wanted to try to make paella at home, but have never had the courage. My sister actually learned from a chef in Spain and if you’ve been reading this blog you might remember her blog post, Seafood Paella with a Mexican Twist. Her experience learning one-on-one from a chef looks dreamy and something I hope to do one day in Spain. If you want to learn more about the history of paella I encourage you to read her blog post.
Collective Culinary approached me and asked if I’d be interested making paella at home. I was so excited and couldn’t wait to give it a try using their products. They specialize in Spanish foods and heritage foods from Peru. I had hoped to share this recipe on National Paella Day, on March 27, but that day was also Easter and March just flew by in a blink of an eye.
Have you ever made paella at home? I am excited to share that they will also be giving away a a kit to a Muy Bueno fan so that you can make paella from the comfort of your own kitchen by getting adventurous with your cooking just like I did. Or purchase your own paella kit at www.marxpantry.com.
The base for your dish will be sent to you and all you have to do is purchase your fresh ingredients. I decided to make my paella with shrimp and Spanish chorizo just like my fond memory of El Mesón.
This paella was a cinch to make – Collective Culinary supplied the paella pan, paella rice, cooking base, and roasted bell peppers which made the process simple and thanks to the flavorful base, this paella has a delicious flavor.
I look forward to many more paella evenings with my family and wish one of you luck. Read below for details on how to enter this paella kit giveaway.
Easy Shrimp and Spanish Chorizo Paella
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 6 roasted piquillo peppers from a jar, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain white rice such as Paella, Bomba or Arborio
- 2 1/2 cups Aneto Cooking Base for Paella
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound raw large shrimp, peel-on
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, and stir about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper to skillet with paprika, salt, and pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice for 1 minute to slightly toast.
- Add broth and saffron, and bring to a rolling boil, uncovered.
- Reduce heat and simmer, cover until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook, covered, until shrimp are cooked through about 6 minutes.
- Stir in chorizo and cook for 3 minutes.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
A special thanks to Culinary Collective for sponsoring this giveaway. Opinions are my own.