Mexican Street Corn (Elote) + Video
Oh elote how I love thee! When I see corn on the cob at the grocery store I get so excited. It’s as if it’s a clear sign that summer is officially here.
I especially love grilled corn on the cob slathered with layers of Mexican flavors. This style of corn on the cob is sold by Mexican street vendors and is beyond fantastic.
Usually Mexican street corn is smeared with mayonnaise, but I actually prefer the mild flavor of crema Mexicana or sour cream. The combination of crema, butter, crumbled queso, powdered chile, a drizzle of Mexican hot sauce, and a squeeze of lime juice just makes my mouth water.
The best part is that this dish is easy to make and your guests can add the garnishes of their choice. Throw some corn on your grill this summer and hear the squeals of delight.
This messy goodness is sweet, spicy, salty, and tangy, all in one glorious bite. It’s an explosion of Latin flavors that you will crave all summer long.
This video will make your mouth water.
Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
- 4 ears of corn, husked and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Crisco Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Softened unsalted butter
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream
- Crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- Kosher salt
- Dried ground chile powder, such as Tajin
- Mexican hot sauce, such as Valentina
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Carefully pull back the corn husks, leaving them attached at the base. Remove the silk and rinse them. Soak the corn for a few minutes – this will help prevent husks from burning on the grill. Lightly brush the corn with olive oil.
- Add the corn to the grill and cook, turning every 3 minutes, until tender and slightly charred for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with traditional garnishes so that everyone can fix their corn the way they want.
- The traditional way is to spread on a layer of butter, and then layer with crema Mexicana. Next, sprinkle the corn with crumbled cheese. Finish it with a sprinkle of salt, ground chile, squeeze of lime juice, and for an added kick drizzle Mexican hot sauce.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Right now everyone has the chance to win a hot new grill and a Crisco cooking pack at The Heritage Kitchen website on Crisco.com. The giveaway promotion is open now through August 15. See official rules for full details here.
A special thanks to Crisco for sponsoring this blog post and video. As a participant of the Crisco Ambassador Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and product samples for review purposes. Opinions are my own.