Cheesy Cornbread Skillet
I remember when I was a little girl my mom used to pick me up from school and occasionally we would go to Marie Callender’s and order navy bean soup and share a piece of cornbread. It was our alone time together and moments that I cherished. It wasn’t very often we ate out, so when she would suggest going I treasured it. Now, every time I eat cornbread I think of my mom. It’s amazing how a simple dish can bring back so many wonderful memories.
My mom is in town visiting and its funny because I asked her to help me develop some recipes and she found this jalapeño cheese corn bread on ElMejorNido.com and suggested we make cornbread. I just laughed to myself. If she only knew how much I think of her when I eat cornbread.
We used the recipe as inspiration, but made it kid friendly by eliminating the jalapeño and substituted it with mini sweet peppers, and we also eliminated the sugar to make it savory. The result was a lovely rustic cornbread studded with plenty of goodies: whole pieces of corn, bits of colorful peppers, and melted Oaxaca cheese.
As soon as we took a bite of this cornbread I was flooded with the memories of us sitting together in a restaurant. It’s those precious memories that remind me of the special bond I’ve always had with my mom. I am so lucky to have such an amazing mother. She has a heart of gold and is always so giving. We didn’t grow up with a lot of money, and this simple recipe reminds me of my upbringing.
Its not about having money, its about making the time to spend it with the ones we love. Its not about expensive gifts, its about making something made with love.
Take this mother’s day to say I love you to that leading lady in your life by telling her just how special she truly is and make her a homemade gift.
Mom, I love you! Your love and support has made me the person that I am and hope to be. You have taught me to never give up and go after my dreams. You have taught me to be independent and kind. I appreciate everything you have done for me. I would not be the person I am today if it wasn’t for the person you’ve always been.
I am truly blessed to have you as my mother. Happy Mother’s Day!
Cheesy Cornbread Skillet
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 mini sweet peppers, chopped
- Preheat to 375 F.
- Lightly grease a 10-inch oven safe skillet.
- Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, eggs and oil in medium bowl. Add to corn meal mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in cheese, corn, and peppers. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes on bottom rack and an additional 5 minutes on top rack or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan. Serve warm and refrigerate any leftovers.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
A special thanks to Nestlé for sponsoring this recipe.