Caldo de Pollo (Homemade Chicken Soup) + Video
Caldo de pollo is medicine for the soul. Its one of my favorite soups and so simple to make. It freezes well in these plastic containers, which comes in very handy when you are not feeling well, and need comforting.
I’m trying to shake off a cold and soup is all I want to eat. I’m pretty sure a few more bowls of this restorative soup will make me feel better in no time.
Then I can tackle all the things on my to-do-list…Christmas cards, shopping, decorating, baking biscochos. At this point I think I just need to hire a magical Christmas elf.
This soup can also be made on a busy weeknight, especially during the holiday season when you already have a lot on your plate.
Feel free to add additional veggies like chayote, Mexican zucchini, and cabbage. This rustic soup is so delicious and customizable.
Watch the video below to learn how quick and simple it is to make. There is nothing like the magical healing powers of homemade soup to heal the body and soul.
Caldo de Pollo (Homemade Chicken Soup)
- 8 cups water
- 4 to 6 skinless chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup white long-grain rice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon safflower petals (azafran)
- Lime wedges
- In a large (at least 10-quart) pot, put the water, chicken, salt, and garlic. Boil for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is boiling, in a separate pan, heat the oil over medium heat, add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to let it burn. Add onion and continue cooking until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add mixture to chicken pot.
- Add carrots, celery, and potatoes to soup and let come to a boil; reduce heat. Let simmer until vegetables cook through, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add tomato sauce, cilantro, and safflower petals during the last 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup, including a piece of chicken for each serving, into bowls and serve with lime wedges, warm corn tortillas, and salsa casera.