La Paloma on National Tequila Day
Yes, it’s true — July 24th is National Tequila Day. Now let’s all celebrate like Pee-Wee Herman and sing Tequila as we find an excuse to drink and cook with tequila (like we need an excuse).
There are far more ways to drink tequila then slamming a shot glass. Here are some of my favorite tequila spiked cocktails, and savory and sweet dishes. And if you want even more tequila recipes please be sure to check out my friend Vianney’s blog over at Sweet Life.
- Strawberry Margarita Popsicles
- Spicy Citrus Margarita
- Blood Orange Mezcal Margarita
- Prickly Pear Frozen Margarita
- Thyme Infused Ruby Red Grapefruit Margaritas
- El Diablo
- Chipotle Tequila Shrimp Tacos
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Spicy Mushroom Torta with Queso Quesadilla
- Avocado Chili Brownies topped with Avocado Tequila Ice Cream
- Platanos Maduros con Miel (Fried Sweet Plantains)
In honor of National Tequila Day, and for a change of pace from the everyday margarita, try a Paloma on for size. A Paloma is an unbelievably refreshing tequila grapefruit cocktail. I love that this drink is not sweet — it’s citrusy and tangy and tastes like a margarita but with some fizz. The best part is that it is so simple to make — tequila, lime juice, and grapefruit soda. It’s that simple! Did you know that La Paloma, not the Margarita, is Mexico’s most beloved cocktail? Who knew?
Do you still have that annoying Tequila song stuck in your head? Let’s change that and listen to this beautiful song, La Paloma by Julio Iglesias.
A Paloma is an unbelievably refreshing tequila grapefruit cocktail. I love that this drink is not sweet – it’s citrusy and tangy and tastes like a margarita but with some fizz.
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Grapefruit-flavored soda (recommend IZZE Sparking Grapefruit or Jarritos Toronja)
- Salt for glass rims
- Moisten rim of glass with a lime and coat with salt. Add ice, tequila, and lime juice, and top off with soda. Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
More recipes available at www.muybuenocookbook.com
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Written by Yvette / Photos by Yvette