Carne Asada Nachos + Amazing Game Day Giveaway
*This giveaway is no longer accepting entries – scroll down to the bottom to see who won!*
Enter the Avocado from Mexicos Game Day Sweepstakes via Muy Bueno
(additional details below).
Nachos, how I love thee, let me count the ways. I have always loved nachos, but my early memories of nachos didn’t look this grand. My grandma made nachos once in a blue moon and those were similar to these — very simple made with homemade tortilla chips, refried beans, jalapeños, and cheese, and baked. That was it, simple and delicious.
Then there were the nachos that I craved at every church bazaar, movie theater, and festival — the nachos made with stale tortilla chips drenched in neon yellow goo, with a heaping mountain of canned jalapeños. My stomach is turning and burning just thinking about them.
Every time I see those nachos I remember some funny teenage memories. My mom sold those same nasty cheddar cheese nachos at our grocery store, Soza’s Grocery. Wow, they were popular and I loved them too. In high school every Friday night my cousin Erika would spend the night and we couldn’t wait to make our mountain of nachos and stay up late to eat them as we watched Friday Night Videos. This was before MTV or VH1 — we had to wait till Friday night to watch music videos. Afterwards we’d talk and giggle all night long as we listened to the radio on my boom box with a cassette recorder nearby waiting to record our favorite songs to make some mix tapes. Wow, how times have changed. As teenagers we were never concerned about our weight. We just ate and enjoyed food without any regrets. I kind of miss those days and not having a care in the world.
After college I worked as a waitress at a pub and they served some mouth-watering nachos. This was one of my first experiences with real nachos. Those nachos were a tall stack of fresh ingredients like grilled steak or chicken, beans, tomatoes, onions, fresh jalapenos, and real cheese, and baked to perfection. Then they were served with a side of fresh guacamole and sour cream. Once I experienced those nachos I started making them at home and never turned back. Ok I’m lying; I still crave those nasty nachos with the ooey-gooey yellow gross cheese with tons of pickled jalapeños especially at the movie theater or a festival and regrettably still eat them on occasion. My stomach can’t handle them anymore and I immediately tell myself I’ll never eat them again…until the next time. I usually have great self control, but for some reason I can’t resist nachos, of any kind.
However, if I had to recommend a nacho recipe I would highly recommend these and not the nasty artificial processed cheese kind. These nachos are made with black beans, carne asada, fresh toppings and a luscious mountain of home made guacamole made with Avocados from Mexico. These show stopping nachos are a hit and perfecto for your Super Bowl party. I know I will be making these along with some hot wings, mini-tamale pies, chile con queso, and Mexican-style pizzas.
Game Day Sweepstakes
Speaking of Super Bowl and avocados have you heard about the incredible Game Day Sweepstakes over at Avocados from Mexico? Avocados from Mexico is giving away six packages to six lucky winners.
Here’s what each sweepstake package will include:
- iPad 2 (16 GB) compliments of Avocados from Mexico
- $100 gift card compliments of Avocados from Mexico
- KitchenAid® Hand Blender
- Cloth tortilla warmer, lemon/lime squeezer, and tortilla press from IMUSA
- Muy Bueno cookbook signed by the three of us
How to Enter
Enter to win via Muy Bueno on the Avocados from Mexico site to qualify for the sweepstake items.
Use this link to enter the Game Day Sweepstakes for your Muy Bueno entry from 12:00 AM January 28, 2013 to 11:59 PM February 3, 2013.
Entries made via the comment section on this site will not be considered. All participants must register on the Avocados from Mexico site to qualify for the sweepstake items. Enter here.
Deadline for this giveaway is at midnight on February 3, 2013 MST. One lucky winner will be chosen by random.org and will be notified within 24 hours. Winner must respond within 48 hours.
The winner of the Muy Bueno sweepstake prize package will be announced on this blog post within 24 hours after the game on Super Bowl Sunday.
You must have a valid U.S. address to enter.
Buena suerte! Good Luck and enjoy the big game!
Carne Asada Nachos with Guacamole
- Tortilla chips
- 1 ½ cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- Grilled carne asada, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Oaxaca, Quesadilla, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 ripe avocados from Mexico
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place your tortilla chips across the bottom of your cast iron skillet or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add beans evenly across the chips; sprinkle the grilled carne asada, shredded cheese, onions, tomatoes, and jalapeño slices across the chips evenly.
- Repeat to build layers if you’re feeding a crowd. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and veggies are warm, about 15 minutes for a single layer or 20 minutes for multiple layers. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings and don’t forget the guacamole.
- While the nachos are baking, make the guacamole. Cut the avocado in half. Twist to pull apart and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh. Place in a medium bowl and mash the avocado with a fork leaving some chunks.
- Add the garlic, onion, jalapeño (optional), salt, and tomato (optional). Squeeze the lime juice over all the ingredients and give everything a gentle stir, but don’t overdo it.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Written by Yvette / Photos by Jeanine
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by Avocados from Mexico. We were compensated for recipe development. The views and opinions expressed about the product are purely our own and based upon our personal experiences. We are thrilled to partner with brands, which we think are an ideal fit for us and you our awesome readers.
Random.org has chosen our winner (via Avocados from Mexico site)!