A Green Chile and Avocado-Mayo Burger on Memorial Day
Memorial Day, is a day set aside where we honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. So how do we honor them? Cities and towns, large and small, across the United States, host a variety of events on this day such as parades and handing out of miniature U.S. flags. Sometimes family members decorate the graves of former family service-members with flowers and flags, in memory of their service, commitment, and dedication. Sometimes members of the military and veteran organizations are invited to take part in these events. So if you have a flag remember to fly it proudly on this day in honor of all the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Unofficially, Memorial Day also marks the beginning of summer and with it comes the summer ritual of outdoor cooking. Memorial Day is the time to dust off your grill and spark it up for some good ol’ grilling with family and friends. Our family is no different, we too love to grill and you can bet we will be gearing up for the big day. With it comes the cornucopia of salads and side dishes, cerveza, desserts, and of course the famous grilled burgers. This year we wanted to showcase a new favorite, the green chile and avocado mayo burger. It has a little bit of old America and a little bit of our Mexican heritage all wrapped up in a tall heap of yumminess.
So as we gather together this Memorial Day we would like to say “Thank you!” to all the men and women who once served and gave their lives so we could have the freedoms we share in today. Thank you to each of you who currently serve in the U.S. military, we appreciate your sacrifice and commitment to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
How will you celebrate Memorial Day?
Green Chile and Avocado-Mayo Burger
- 2 Anaheim chile peppers
- 3 pounds ground beef
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 8 large sesame seed buns
- Roast the Anaheim chile peppers, peel, stem, seed, cut into strips, and set aside.
- Cut the two avocados in half; remove the pit, spoon out the avocado into a bowl. Add the lime juice, mayonnaise, and mash until you have a creamy avocado mayo for spreading. Add salt to taste.
- Make 6 to 8 hamburger patties with the hamburger meat. Salt and pepper each side.
- Place on the grill and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 4 minutes or until desired doneness.
- While hamburgers are grilling butter the inside of the hamburger buns and place on the grill to toast.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Written by Veronica / Photos by Veronica